Monday, October 29, 2012


When I was in high school, my friends and I used to joke that you weren't in a committed relationship until you hit the 3 month mark - anything prior to that, either party had the ability to walk away and it wasn't serious. I was just thinking that we are a few days shy of being in Baker Lake for 3 months, so I guess it means we're committed to this relationship. We've survived the transitional hump of getting settled, and from here on out it's just...every day life. I'd say we're still in the honeymoon phase of figuring it out, but in an enjoyable way. So far so good.

Even though it's a small town and we've been here for a few month, there are still surprises that pop up now and then. For instance, I recently found out at my last Grey's night that there's another restaurant in town - and it's 1) open all day until 6pm - so you're not limited to only between 12 and 1, and 2) it's also open on Saturdays! When your only option to eat out is KFC or Pizza Hut, this becomes very exciting news in your life, trust me.

With Jeff being away on training until Saturday and not really wanting to make dinner for lonely-old-me, the neighbours and I decided that we would try it out after work on Friday. Unfortunately for us, Friday was also a pretty bad weather day/night, so we had to battle crazy blowing snow (it was hard to see down the street) and extremely high winds (they were calling for up to 80 km/h!!) - but, we had it in our head that we were doing it, so we drove the few minutes into town and grabbed some take-out. Verdict: totally worth it. They make their own fresh bread, they have rotisserie chicken and homemade burgers, also big homemade pizzas that looked pretty appetizing too. Was it cheap? Hell, no! My chicken club, fries and a pop was $30...but I anticipate it will be a haven on days we need a grease fix or a night "out." I'll go with Jeff one day and see how the burgers are, but the neighbours said they were pretty delicious. Either way, there are nights that frozen french fries and Delissio aren't going to cut it, so it's good to know it's an option.

I was worried that the weather was going to affect the Saturday flights because I had heard the Friday flights were all cancelled due to high winds, so I begged Mother Nature to chill out on Saturday so Jeff could make it home safe and sound. After being delayed for a few hours, he finally arrived home on Saturday afternoon armed with much more luggage than when he left. We had made a list of things he could pick up while in Winnipeg (groceries and non-groceries) and when he was all said and done, he actually had to pick up some plastic tubs to pack the things in! (It was still cheaper than spending money up here.) The best thing that he brought back though? A Big Mac!! Let me tell you - I have never, ever been so happy to have day-old McDonald's. I savoured every bite of that 14 hour Big Mac like you wouldn't believe. :) What can I say, my husband knows me well and I'm apparently very easy to please!

The rest of the weekend was pretty tame. The school was holding a Halloween fundraiser for the graduating class called Spookarama, but poor Jeff was so tired and sick when we got home that he went to bed before dinner on Saturday and slept right through until breakfast the next morning. In hindsight, it's probably a good thing I didn't go, considering how jumpy I am on a normal day. I can only imagine how much my heart can handle if we went somewhere that had people intentionally trying to scare you!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment