Since we are flying on First Air, the baggage restrictions are pretty limited because we're going to be on a smaller plane. Basically, if we don't want to have to pay for any excess fees (though they may be cheaper than paying to courier/ship things up separately and we'd be guaranteed to have the baggage with us), we both get 2 bags at 44 pounds each. That sounds like a lot, but after going through the process of packing up our house and under-estimating our belongings, I don't want to take any chances.
I think we're going to have to borrow someone's scale next week and do "practice packs" to see what we're looking at in terms of weight.
Below is a list of things that I can think of as essential to get us through the first while that we're there in case our things haven't arrived yet.
- Clothes & shoes
- Toiletries (hopefully our travel bag-sized items are enough)
- Don't forget shower poof!!
- Telephone for house
- Laptop, iPad, chargers
- Sheets (a blanket will be too bulky, so hopefully it will be warm enough)
- Pillows? Is that going to have the same problem as the bulkiness of the blanket?
- Umbrella (I am quite certain we forgot to pack one)
- Prescriptions (obviously!)